Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Why Faith Connors of Mirror's Edge is my kind of protagonist and why she's important.

While I still have yet to finish the Mirror's Edge game, I still like to read up on the story [and give myself spoilers-yes I am a loser.] and I have yet to find another female protagonist quite like her. In a world of games where girls are unnecessarily sexualized [even for combat gear], it really is a breath of fresh air to see a fighter/runner like Faith to be dressed so properly for what she's doing.

I'm not going to really give a rundown of the game, simply lead you to their wiki page.

Now if you have had the pleasure [like I have] to play Mirror's Edge, you will probably see where I am coming from most likely. Video Games in a sense haven't always been catered to Women, as seen by the unnecessary combat wear that many girls are seen to be wearing in games like Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibur [in example: Ivy Valentine]

Now Ivy is a badass female character by herself, but her combat wear isn't exactly logical and very well it leaves a lot of open spots for her to be killed. The costume itself is very sexy [yes I admit it], but no-not very logical. [But yes, I know Video games aren't meant to be logical.]

When I went to Salt Lake Comic Con with my boyfriend we went into a panel, something to do with the Geekshow Podcast. [Did I get it right? I'm not too familiar with them, despite having seen them quite a few times while being with my boyfriend-the sole reason I go to their podcast/panels.] Anyways, there was something that was brought up and I was really interested in what they had to say [despite half of them being men] and that was the sexualization of women in Video games and Comic Books. [and how unethical their costumes were]

Kerry's response? "It's just fiction, it doesn't matter-women are just getting upset about it." Sadly, the two women that were there agreed with him. [Kerry isn't my favorite person, and I don't care for the Geekshow podcast for their tendency to laugh at rape jokes] And that's how most men tend to think when women speak up about this.

Faith Connors is simply a jewel amongst the video game world, and I'm happy to say that my boyfriend also likes Mirror's Edge. Not because he thinks the protagonist is 'hot', which tbh she really is! But because it's a fun game and that's what we concentrate on as we run above a turbulent city and fight baddies!

In a video game world where men are properly armored, while many women are just there to look 'hot'-I think Faith Connors is just a prime example of how creators can create women in their world without necessarily making them wear skimpy outfits. On another note, these people create these characters and yet criticize any Women daring to cosplay as them!

I'm not saying that other female characters are horrible simply because they're in skimpy outfits-hey it's not their fault! And I'm a big fan of Mileena [Mortal Kombat], and speaking of Mortal Kombat I am happy that they're giving the girls more realistic bodies! [though the costumes can still improve, if just a little]

Guys will complain that this is 'their' world, but it really isn't just their world anymore. I don't think it was truly their own anyways!

That's all I have to say on this manner. On another note, I really would LOVE to cosplay as Faith, but I don't think I could ever replicate her markings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ranking the GazettE albums.

 This might be a little controversial to some fans, but lately I've been thinking about my personal favorites of GazettE and thought sin...